More

Worthing Golf Club

Welcome to

Worthing Golf Club

History

1940 Ben Jeffrey, Club Professional on duty when in the Local Defence Volunteers Golf Club Club President Colonel W.R. Campion, M.P. driving to open the course on 26th May 1923 Mr Grace was Caddie Master from 1910 to the 1930's photographed outside the new dining room built in Putting on the nine hole course with the Clubhouse on the left and Broadwater Windmill on the right Warren Farm became the Club House when a nine hole course was built around the clubhouse and opened Harold Matthews, left, Club Captain in 1928-1929 played against J.L. Hough in the Captains Prize fin Mrs John Forbes poses after a round of golf in 1920 James Braid the Open Champion playing a 36 hole exhibition match against Harry Varden, Oct 1906 The greenstaff at work. Wives of the greens staff did the weeding and mowing as their husbands were away at the 1914-18 Worl The old 5th tee was from the top of Mount Carvey, the present 9th upper Cars parked on the grass outside the Clubhouse in 1927. Greenstaff at work James Braid, a five times past Open Champion, was invited to attend the first Spalding Tournament The Club Bus in 1913. On the left is Major E.B. Hales, Secretary, right is S.W. Nodes, Club Captain Climbing down the steps from the 5th tee on Mount Carvey to the valley below Fred Pratt cutting a new hole on the 12th, while Bill Denyer is working the Ransome overgreen mower. Fred Pratt talking to Joan Grant-White who was Lady Captain 1946-1947. Her husband Donald Grant-Whit In the early 1920's H.R.H. The Prince of Wales, who later became His Majesty King Edward VIII The Committee of The Club gave a free 'Harvest Supper' and refreshments to all the Staff and their f Warren Farm House 1914 The 7th green of the old course. The valley in the background is the present 8th hole. 1924. A new wing was built to the south of the Clubhouse as a dining room 1949 Roberto de Vincenzo played at Worthing on his first visit to England in the Spalding Tournament Greens staff at work Putting on the nine hole course with the Broadwater Windmill in the background. 1914-1918 Wives of the greens staff worked on the course when their husbands were away 1947. The 3rd green lower. Some of the ground staff plus one young man. James Braid, the Open Champion, Douglas McEwan 1915. Wives of the greens staff enjoy a picnic 1947 The 5th & 13th greens lower. Date unknown. The exhibition match in 1906 1947. Looking up the 11th lower with the 6th & 7th greens below Driving from the second. Date unknown Worthing Motor Services provided a bus with a route that included Broadwater, Worthing Golf Links an The 36 hole exhibition match was well supported on 23rd October 1906. 1947 The 9th tee lower, with the 8th green and fairway beyond Date unknown The exhibition match 1947. The 13th with the Himalaya bunkers in the foreground The Tatler in 1934 featured many characters of Worthing Golf Club with this cartoon by Mel Some of the green staff in 1908 1938 L.A. Green driving at the 17th in the final of the Sussex Amateur Golf Championship at Worthing The 18th green under water. Today it would be the 16th green lower. The Broadwater Windmill can be seen in the background. c1909 1938. R.A. Howell putting in the final of the Sussex Amateur Golf Championship at Worthing. 1948. The 6th green lower. The 8th on the left with the Himalaya bunkers. Centre right, the war time 1938. John Kenneth Mathews, Club Captain 1947-1949 and Club President 1957-1958, Dr. S.S. Nicholson 1948 The 6th fairway, with the 13th in the background The Warren Farm House became the Club House in 1905 in this postcard. The Warren Farm House 1905. 1934. A men's locker room was built to the north of the main entrance and on the first floor was a b The entrance to Worthing Golf Club, in this postcard. Broadwater Windmill was adjacent to todays 17th tee on the lower course Old postcard titled Worthing. The Golf Links at Cissbury. c1905.

 
 
 




Created by intelligentgolf version 10.1.2
CONGU® is Copyright Council of National Golf Unions.